A mother decided to cut open one of her child’s teething toys and what she found inside was disgusting. Now, she wants to warn all parents about a danger to children they might never even suspect!
According to Good Housekeeping, pediatric dentist Dana Chianese discovered mold inside her son’s Sophie La Girafe toy after she smelled a musty odor coming out of the toy’s air hole during a regular cleaning about a month ago.
The odor made her suspicious, but the mother of two boys under 3 never expected to find what was growing inside.
“I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside,” Chianese told Good Housekeeping. “Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant’s favorite chew toy!”
Chianese stated that she follows the toys’ cleaning instructions to a T, but that doesn’t make her feel any better about the situation.
It’s not all bad news, though.
“The only way to prevent mold inside plastic toys is to make sure they are cleaned and thoroughly dried,” she said.
She recommends cleaning the toy at least once a week and reminds parents never to let a teething toy sit in water or to leave water trapped in it.