A family is in shock after they say their 4-year-old son never woke up from a common dental procedure.
Mykel Peterson was on the autism spectrum, which made visits to the dentist a challenge.
“He wouldn’t keep his mouth open so they can actually see what’s going on,” said Thmeka Curry, Mykel’s mother.
As a result, Mykel would be slightly sedated using a nitrous oxide mask.
However, things changed when dentists learned that the little boy had a cavity. Instead of the mask, Mykel was given a shot of Ketamine to put him to sleep while they worked.
While the procedure was a success, Curry became worried when the dentist didn’t come back after trying to wake him up.
Officials say Mykel stopped breathing and workers immediately began CPR. Sadly, he was pronounced dead when he made it to the hospital.
Curry says that she wishes she had asked more questions.
“Make sure they clarify what’s going on. If the doctors don’t say anything, ask. Be the voice for your kids,” Curry told KGW said.
Drs. Prashant and Monisha Gagneja and Dr. Chelsea Zamudio issued a statement that said, in part:
As dentists and staff devoted exclusively to the needs of children, all of us at Must Love Kids Pediatric Dentistry are heartbroken and devastated by this event. … As to the specifics, outside medical experts will review what happened, so it would be premature to comment. …
There are times when the use of general anesthesia is necessary to provide quality dental care for children. We have performed dentistry for pediatric patients under deep sedation and general anesthesia more than 1,900 times without incident in the last three and half years in Vancouver. We contract with an independent, highly qualified and experienced board-certified anesthesiologist for anesthesia services who follow strict protocols, including a pre-operative checkup and clearance by the child’s primary physician prior to the procedure. …