Orlando Health and Florida Hospital will write off an estimated $5.5 million in out-of-pocket medical expenses as part of a decision by both hospitals to pay the bills for all the victims of the Orlando Pulse nightclub terror attack earlier this summer.
“The pulse shooting was a horrendous tragedy for the victims, their families and our entire community,” the Orlando Health President and CEO David Strong told the Orlando Sentinel Wednesday. “During this very trying time, many organizations, individuals and charities have reached out to Orlando Health to show their support. This is simply our way of paying that kindness forward.”
Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando Health’s primary hospital, treated 44 of the more than 50 victims who needed medical treatment after the June 12 shooting that left 49 dead. Shortly after arriving at ORMC, nine of the victims died. Their families will also not be billed, hospital officials said.
Orlando Health will send bills to the insurance companies of victims who have coverage, but the hospital will absorb the costs of whatever patients’ coverage does not pay, spokeswoman Kena Lewis told the Sentinel.
As for Florida Hospital, which treated 12 of the wounded victims, officials said they will not even bill the patients’ insurance companies for the care, nor will they charge for any follow-up procedures or surgeries the survivors may need.
“It was incredible to see how our community came together in the wake of the senseless Pulse shooting,” Florida Hospital President and CEO Daryl Tol said. “We hope this gesture can add to the heart and goodwill that defines Orlando.”
The news about the decision was, of course, received very well by survivors of the deadly attack.