After an enjoyable trip to Belize, a man comes down with strange symptoms and a fever that wouldn’t subside. All of his Doctors were completely baffled by his symptoms and the three spots on his elbow that looked like an infection. After multiple trips to the doctor, nobody was able to figure out what was wrong until the man spoke with a friend who has a lot of experience in Central America. The news he got was rather shocking and they got it right in time.
The friend was able to identify the source of the problem – the man had three botfly larvae under his skin. The spots on his arms were not infections at all. The man went to the doctor to find out if his friend right and, sure enough, he was. Botflies are parasites that can live in the flesh or the gut. The human botfly, Dermatobia hominid, is the only kind that regularly affects humans. If you ever find that you have been infected by a botfly, immediately see a Doctor. A failed attempt of removing a botfly yourself can cause the larvae’s body to rupture, releasing harmful toxins into your body which can cause anaphylactic shock,
The video below shows the botflies being removed from the young man’s arms.