It’s not easy running a supermarket store. Shoppers can never find what’s kept in which alley and the price tags are never in their place.
But Martie Esnouf, the manager at a Spar store in Cape Town was called to the dairy section for a very unusual problem.
A woman shopper who had reached out to get some yoghurt from the refrigerator instead found a 12-foot python ‘chilling’ inside. She screamed ‘snake’ when she realised it wasn’t a dairy product she grabbed.
Luckily for the customer, the cold-blooded creature was fast asleep in the chiller section.
“When a snake ends up in the fridge, its organs start shutting down and it could take up to 48 hours for it to be back to normal,” said store manager, Esnouf.
The market staff say the 4 meter African Rock Python could have entered the store through the roof or the drain before getting comfy in the fridge.
“We have a lot of bush behind the shops and there are lots of snakes in there. We were telling people not to panic and reassuring them that it was safe,” the manager told Daily Mail.
Local snake-catchers were also called in to deal with the unusual situation. They cleared out the refrigerator until they could see the snake without anything surrounding the are. They then quickly pulled it out and put it in a sack. According to news report, the creature was safely rescued and will be released into a national park.
SPAR : KOMATIPOORT. pic.twitter.com/MSMrxBmwW9
— REZA (@crimeairnetwork) April 7, 2017
Although the African Rock Python is known to be a non-venomous snake, but it can destructively crush its victims to death and then swallow the entire body.
As for the woman, think she is gonna be found nowhere near any of the dairy section for now.