After finishing a backpacking trip around South America, one woman returned home to watch maggots burst out of her skin.
The terrified woman, identified only by her last name, Gu, was visiting a Brazilian rain forest when a “peanut-sized insect” bit her right leg, reports the Daily Mail.
It was later revealed to be an insect carrying human botfly eggs.
While it left three, itchy lumps, she was fine and able to finish her trip, traveling to Bolivia and other countries before returning home.
When she got home, Gu noticed the lumps had split open and was shocked to see maggots hatch out of her skin.
At a local hospital, doctors found two more larvae about to emerge. They quickly sprung into action, surgically extracting the insects.
Gu, 28, from Shanghai, China, is now on antibiotics and is reportedly recovering well.
News of the maggots has since spread online.
Many were shocked such a thing could even happen.
Daily Mail reporter Alexandra Thompson compared the story to “a scene just like that in sci-fi film ‘Alien.'”
Some even re-considered their travel plans.
“Sometimes I think…… boy I need to get out and explore the world because there is so much to see and I feel like I am missing out….. then I see this and think, you know what I’m doing just fun where I am! :)” wrote one Daily Mail reader.
Others wondered if the woman was wearing appropriate clothing and warned travelers to be careful.
“When in the jungle in S. America you need to cover all of your skin except hands and possibly face,” advised another reader. “Wear a hat and ear-defenders as the head and ears are the favorite places for these to attack. It takes seconds to lay its eggs. Sleep inside a mosquito net at night.”
Those might be wise words to follow as summer approaches and many travels to exotic locations.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers advice to those planning to travel to South America, Asia, Africa and other tropical areas.
“Bugs (including mosquitoes, ticks, and some flies) can spread diseases (including Zika, dengue, and Lyme disease), many of which cannot be prevented or treated with a vaccine or medicine,” it writes.
“As much as possible, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks, and a hat,” CDC advises. “Tuck your shirt into your pants, and tuck your pants into your socks for maximum protection. Some bugs, such as tsetse flies, can bite through thin fabric.”
The CDC also advises travelers to wear EPA-registered insect repellents that contain at least 20 percent of the active ingredient DEET.