President Erdogan has launched a series of attacks on Berlin after officials canceled rallies aimed at courting an estimated 1.5 million ethnic Turkish voters in Germany before an upcoming referendum.
President Erdogan told a rally in Istanbul: “We will talk about Germany’s actions in the international arena and we will put them to shame in the world’s eyes.
“If I want to, I will come to Germany. If you don’t let me in or if you don’t let me speak, I will make the whole world rise up!”
He added he would “humiliate Germany before the world” at future international events.
In a separate sickening attack, President Erdogan said: “Your actions are no different from what the Nazis used to do… We no longer want to see the Nazi world.
“We don’t want to see the practices of those fascist regimes.”
The comments came after local authorities in three German towns – Gaggenau, Cologne and Frechen – prevented Turkish ministers from holding campaign Rallies with Turkish expats ahead of Turkey’s constitutional referendum, on April 16.
The towns claimed security and logistical issues were behind the cancelations, while the German foreign ministry denied any political move behind their decision.
Austria had already banned pro-Erdogan rallies, with their chancellor, Christian Kern, saying there should be an EU-wide ban.
“A collective EU response to prevent such campaign events would make sense so that individual countries like Germany where appearances are forbidden don’t end up being pressured by Turkey,” he said.
Mr Kern added President Erdogan was “trampling on human rights and basic democratic rights” in Turkey.
Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte also weighed in on the debate, writing on Facebook: “We believe that the Dutch public space is not the place to conduct another country’s political campaign.”
Turkish nationals living in Germany will be able to vote in April’s referendum, which could give President Erdogan more powers.